Last Updated on September 1, 2022
We reserve the right to change this Policy at any time. We will notify you of any changes to this Policy by posting a new Policy to this page, and/or by sending notice to the primary email address specified in your account. You are responsible for ensuring we have an up-to-date active and deliverable email address for you, and for periodically reviewing this Policy to check for any changes. Changes to this Policy are effective when they are posted on this page. You acknowledge that your continued use of our Services after we publish or send a notice about our changes to this Policy means that the collection, use and sharing of your Personal Information is subject to the updated Policy.
What Information Do We Collect?
We may collect different types of information from you depending on how you use our Services, including Personal Information. "Personal Information" means information that relates to an identified or identifiable natural person. The categories of Personal Information we may collect are listed below. Certain types of Personal Information may fall under more than one category.
- Identifiers: We may collect your first and last name, email address, username, postal address, phone number, IP address, country, time zone, or display name.
- Commercial information: We may collect your sales and subscription history for the Services.
- Voice data: We may receive your voice data through your microphone. Typically we do not store this information, although we reserve the right to process your voice data locally in certain public room instances for moderation purposes. For moderation purposes, some of this voice data may be recorded and sent to a third party service for additional processing. Any such recordings are anonymized and retained for 30 days. Voice data in private instances is never processed, stored or sent to third parties, except as expressly provided herein.
- Sensory data: We may receive your voice through your microphone and animation data derived from your head movement and facial expressions . Any such sensory data are anonymized and retained for 30 days.
- Internet or other similar network activity:  We may collect your activity history, through cache, cookies, and REST API calls.  We may collect usage data and history, including, but not limited to, search terms entered, pages viewed, and other usage behavior identified by analytics events.
- Other categories:  We may collect information from the content that you create and share publicly in the Services.  We may collect your responses to surveys that we may ask you to complete for research purposes or to help direct Company activities. We may collect any information you provide when communicating with us or that you otherwise voluntarily provide to us.
We may also collect information that does not generally identify you but may become associated with your account. We may use information that does not identify you for any permissible business purpose under applicable law.
You also may provide information to be published or displayed (hereinafter, "posted") on public areas of the Services, or transmitted to other users of the Services or third parties (collectively, "User Contributions"). Your User Contributions are posted on and transmitted to others at your own risk. Although we limit access to certain pages/you may set certain privacy settings for such information by logging into your account profile, please be aware that no security measures are perfect or impenetrable. Additionally, we cannot control the actions of other users of the Services with whom you may choose to share your User Contributions. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee that your User Contributions will not be viewed by unauthorized persons.
From What Sources Do We Collect Personal Information?
Directly From You
We may collect your Personal Information when you provide it to us directly. For example:
- When you register for an account to use our Services, you are required to provide your email address, first and last name, and create a password. We may also collect your phone number, country, and time zone. If you use your Meta account to login to the Services, then we may receive your email and associate Meta account information.
- When you contact us or report a problem with the Services, we may collect records and copies of your correspondence.
- When your instructor or other Immerse employee has initiated a Recording.
- When you have granted permission to use and to record your session.
- When the Services crashes during play, we may collect your running/loaded DLLs on your computer, your username, and the data gathered from a "small memory dump".
- When you choose to use your device microphone for voice chat. In some public room instances voice chat may be processed on device, and in some cases recorded and transmitted to a third party service for moderation purposes. Any such recordings are anonymized and stored for 30 days.
- When you respond to a survey or questionnaire, we may collect the information provided.
On Oculus virtual reality headsets, our Services may request permission to access the following:
- Microphone – the Services requests access to the microphone in order to support real time voice chat. Voice chat is optional and may be turned off at any time. The Services will continue to function (without voice chat) if you choose to deny permission.
- Camera - the Services requests access to the headset device camera in order to animate your virtual avatar in certain scenarios.
Automatically From You
We may collect your Personal Information automatically as you use our Services. For example, we may collect your Personal Information as you browse our Services. For more information about our use of automatic tracking technologies and certain choices we offer you with respect to them, please see the Section titled “How Do We Use Tracking Technologies” below.
From Third Parties
We may receive Personal Information from or through third parties that help us provide or facilitate your access to the Services. For example, we may receive your Personal Information from:
- Virtual reality app store platforms such as the Oculus Store and the Oculus device;
- Cloud computing providers;
- Payment platform providers; and
- Data analytics providers.
We endeavor to abide by this Policy when we use Personal Information provided to us by third parties. However, we do not control the Personal Information that third parties collect or how they use that Personal Information. You should review the third parties' privacy policies for more information about how they collect, use, and share information they obtain and use.
How Do We Use The Information We Collect?
We use the information we collect:
- To deliver and improve the Services and your overall user experience.
- To protect, investigate, and deter against fraudulent, unauthorized, or illegal activity.
- To link or combine user information with other Personal Information.
- To compare and verify information for accuracy and update our records.
- To email, message, or otherwise contact you with information and updates about us and the Services.
- To respond to your comments and questions and provide customer service.
- To send you information including confirmations, invoices, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages.
- To analyze how you use the Services with third party tools to help us understand traffic patterns and know if there are problems with the Services.
- Create targeted advertising to promote the Services and engage our users.
- In connection with a merger, acquisition, reorganization or similar transaction.
- When required by law or to respond to legal process.
- To protect our users, other individual lives, and/or the rights or property of Company.
- To maintain the security of the Services.
- For any other purpose with your consent.
Do We Share Your Personal Information?
- With our corporate affiliates and subsidiaries.
- With third parties that perform services to support our core business functions and internal operations, which may include database administrators, cloud computing services, payment processors, advertising services, and application services providers.
- To support our audit, compliance, and corporate governance functions.
- In connection with a change of ownership or control of all or part of our business (such as a merger, acquisition, reorganization, or bankruptcy).
- If we have a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation, or disclosure of such information is reasonably necessary to detect or protect against fraud or security issues.
- If required or permitted by applicable law or regulation, including laws and regulations of the United States and other countries, or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to: (a) comply with a legal obligation or in response to a request from law enforcement or other public authorities wherever Company may do business; (b) protect and defend the rights or property of Company; (c) act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of users, customers, and contractors/employees of Company or others; or (d) enforce our Terms of Service or otherwise protect against any legal liability.
- With your consent or at your direction.
How Do We Use Tracking Technologies?
Some of the features on the Services may require the use of “cookies” - small text files that are stored on your device’s hard drive. You may delete and block all cookies from our Services, but parts of the Services may not work. We want to be open about our cookie use. The following sets out how we may use different categories of cookies and your options for managing cookie settings:
How Do We Secure Your Personal Information?
We take reasonable steps to protect your Personal Information against unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure, misuse, or destruction. Unfortunately, no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. The safety and security of your Personal Information also depends on you. You can take certain steps to help protect your Personal Information, such as being mindful of what you post in public places. For example:
- Do not use your real name when selecting a username.
- Do not post your real name in public-facing areas of the Services and do not share anything private about yourself.
Users should also not pick a password that is easy to guess and should not share their password. Remember that we have no control over what third parties do with the content of such communications and no responsibility or obligation regarding third parties.
If you have an account with us, you are responsible for keeping your membership details confidential. Your account is protected by your account password and we urge you to take steps to keep your Personal Information safe by not disclosing your password and by logging out of your account after each use. We further protect your Personal Information from potential security breaches by implementing certain technological security measures including encryption, firewalls and secure socket layer technology. However, these measures do not guarantee that your Personal Information will not be accessed, disclosed, altered or destroyed by breach of such firewalls and secure server software. By using the Services, you acknowledge that you understand and agree to assume these risks.
Unless otherwise instructed by you in accordance with this Policy, we will retain your Personal Information while your account is in existence or as needed to provide you Services. This includes data you or others provided to us and data generated or inferred from your use of the Services.
Managing Your Privacy
All users may review, update, correct or delete the Personal Information furnished by a user in their user account by contacting us at email@example.com or by accessing your user account. For your protection, we may only share and update the Personal Information associated with the specific email address that you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before doing so. We will try to comply with such requests in a reasonably timely manner. If you completely and permanently delete all of your Personal Information, then your user account may become deactivated. If you wish to cancel your account, you may request to do so by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and any personally identifiable information associated with your account will be deleted in a timely manner or as required by applicable law. Please note that we may retain information that is otherwise deleted in anonymized and aggregated form, in archived or backup copies as required pursuant to records retention obligations, or otherwise as required by law. We may retain an archived copy of your records as required by law or for legitimate business purposes.
Links to Third Party Websites
By using the Services, you agree that we will not be liable for any damage or loss caused by your use of or reliance on any content, advertising, products, or other materials on or available from these third party websites.
How We Respond to Do Not Track Signals
Your browser settings may allow you to automatically transmit a Do Not Track signal to websites and other online services you visit. We do not alter our practices when we receive a Do Not Track signal from a visitor’s browser because we do not track our visitors to provide targeted advertising. To find out more about Do Not Track, please visit http://www.allaboutdnt.com.
Children Under 16
The Services are not directed to individuals who are under age of sixteen (16) and we do not solicit nor knowingly collect Personal Information from children under the age of sixteen (16). If you believe that we have unknowingly collected any Personal Information from someone under the age of sixteen (16), please contact us immediately at email@example.com and the information will be deleted.
Third Party Direct Marketing
We currently do not share Personal Information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes without your consent.
A Note to Users Outside the United States
Our Company is based in the United States. The Services are controlled and operated by us from the United States and are not intended to subject us to the laws or jurisdiction of any state, country or territory other than that of the laws of the country(ies) where the Services are controlled. Your Personal Information may be stored and processed in any country where we have facilities or in which we engage service providers, and by using the Services you consent to the transfer of information to countries outside of your country of residence, including the United States, which may have data protection rules that are different from those of your country. In certain circumstances, courts, law enforcement agencies, regulatory agencies or security authorities in those other countries may be entitled to access your Personal Information.
If you have any questions about this Policy, your Personal Information, or the Services, you can contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your Rights (European Residents)
The laws of certain jurisdictions may provide data subjects with various rights in connection with the processing of Personal Information, including:
- The right to withdraw any previously provided consent;
- The right to access certain information about you that we process;
- The right to have us correct or update any personal information;
- The right to have certain personal information erased;
- The right to have us temporarily block our processing of certain personal information;
- The right to have personal information exported into common machine-readable format;
- The right to object to our processing of personal information in cases of direct marketing, or when we rely on legitimate interests as our lawful basis to process your information; and
- The right to lodge a complaint with the appropriate data protection authority.
Where we are deemed a data controller under the laws of certain jurisdictions, we will take steps to help ensure that you are able to exercise your rights regarding Personal Information about you in accordance with applicable law. To do so, you may contact us at email@example.com. Please note these rights may be limited in certain circumstances as provided by applicable law. We will promptly review all such requests in accordance with applicable laws. Depending on where you live, you may also have a right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority or other regulatory agency if you believe that we have violated any of the rights concerning Personal Information about you. We encourage you to first reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, so we have an opportunity to address your concerns directly before you do so.